According to the U.S. Fire Administration, one out of every four in-home Christmas tree fires is caused by electrical problems. And, one of every 32 reported Christmas tree fires results in death. As a company known for trimming solutions that protect our customers and the environment, we would like to provide you with some tree trimming tips to keep your family safe during the holidays:
- Only use lights approved by a recognized laboratory, such as underwriters Laboratories (UL).
- Check lights for cracks and frayed ends. In this case, don’t cover your crack, discard it!
- Toss out old strings of lights that don’t have fuses because fuses prevent sparks in the event of a short circuit.
- Use only non-flammable decorations.
- Don’t put candles on your tree.
- Keep heat sources like fireplaces and baseboard heat away from your tree.
- Turn your lights off when you leave the house.
- Don’t water your tree when the lights are on.
- Keep your tree stand full of water.
- Discard your tree when it becomes dry and starts dropping needles.
Don’t end up like Clark Griswold or something worse. Hold Christmas tree safety in the palm of your hand by safely trimming, monitoring and maintaining your Christmas tree.