Replacing Old Caulk with InstaTrim®
If you have old, unsightly caulk in your home, you most likely want to remove and replace it. If so, you’ve come to the right place. InstaTrim is an alternative to messy caulk and homeowners and contractors love how easy it is to install, with no mess or waste.
In your home, you may be looking at acrylic, latex, urethane or silicone caulk. Silicone is the most common and is usually white or clear and has a rubbery feel to it. InstaTrim will adhere well to all caulking products except silicone. Silicone is unique in that nothing will stick to it but more silicone. You will need to take a few extra steps in ensuring it is removed 100%. This requires using acetone or a silicone remover product with a “scrubbing” pad to completely remove.
We would like to guide you through surface prep and installation with these easy steps:
Removing the old silicone:
- Remove the old caulk/silicone with a razor blade
- Carefully apply acetone (make sure you have good ventilation!) and rub the area with a deep surface cleaning pad, making sure to remove all remnants of silicone
- Thoroughly dry the area or let it air dry
- Peel the backing off the trim strip
- Always start in the corners and work outwards!
- Place the trim strip along the gap and press it into place
- If the strip starts going crooked, peel it back and reapply
- Try not to stretch the trim strip as you install, or the ends will shrink
- Once the InstaTrim is in place, run your finger across the entire strip to make sure it’s tight.
It’s a peel, press, perfect installation, and with InstaTrim, there is no cure time, drying time, or annoying odor.Watch the inventor of InstaTrim prep the surface and install the product in the kitchen, where the backsplash meets the countertop.